Understand your options if you lose Medicaid or CHIP
Published on June 10, 2023
Your options to enroll in health coverage:
Apply for Marketplace coverage at HealthCare.gov
- Most people qualify for savings on a health plan to lower their monthly premium and what they pay when they get care.
- 4 in 5 customers are able to find health coverage for $10 or less a month.
- All Marketplace plans cover doctor’s visits, prescription drugs, emergency care, mental health, hospitalizations, and more.
- You can apply and enroll in a Marketplace plan as early as 60 days before your Medicaid or CHIP coverage ends to avoid a gap in coverage.
- From March 31, 2023 - July 31, 2024, you can also apply for a Marketplace plan any time after your Medicaid or CHIP coverage ends. You’ll have 60 days after submitting your application to enroll in a plan that will start at the beginning of the next month after you complete your enrollment.
Explore your eligibility for Medicaid, CHIP, & Medicare
- You can re-apply through your state to find out if you still qualify for Medicaid/CHIP.
- If you’re 65 or older but didn’t sign up for Medicare when you first became eligible, you may be able to sign up without paying a late enrollment penalty.