Job-based coverage for 2017

Depending on the kind of job-based coverage you had (including COBRA or retiree coverage), you may get one of these from your employer or insurance company:

  • Form 1095-B, Health Coverage
  • Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage


  • Enrolled in coverage through the SHOP Marketplace? The SHOP Marketplace doesn’t provide 1095 tax forms. Contact your employer or your insurance company with questions.

  • If you don’t get either form, don’t worry. Some employers don’t provide either form to their employees. You don’t need one to file your taxes.

1. If you receive Form 1095-B or Form 1095-C

  • You should have it by mid-March.
  • Read Parts II and IV on Form 1095-B or Parts II and III on Form 1095-C to find information about:
    • Your job-based insurance offer and 2017 coverage
    • Covered individuals and the months they had coverage
  • More about Forms 1095-B or 1095-C from the IRS.

2. Complete your tax return

If you and your dependents were covered by job-based health insurance for all months of 2017:

  • Check the “Full-year coverage” box on your federal income tax form.
    • You can find it on Form 1040 (PDF, 147 KB), line 61.
    • You can find it on Form 1040A (PDF, 138 KB), line 38.
    • You can find it on Form 1040EZ (PDF, 115 KB), line 11.

Don't delay filing your taxes only because you didn't get Form 1095-B or 1095-C.

If you got Form 1095-B or 1095-C, don't include it with your tax return. Save it along with your other tax documents.

Health care tax resources

Tax forms and instructions:

1095-B and 1095-C information

More than one coverage status?

If you were enrolled in a job-based health coverage for only part of 2017, or other family members had different coverage, visit the relevant pages below.

See what to do for: