July 22, 2014
7 things to know about reporting a life change
Once you have Marketplace coverage, it’s important to report life changes. This information may change the coverage or savings you’re eligible for.
Here are 7 things to know about reporting life changes:
- It’s important to report life changes to the Marketplace right away. If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period to change plans, you have 60 days from the life event to enroll. If the changes qualify you for more or less savings, make adjustments as soon as possible.
- You should report the following changes to the Marketplace:
- Changes in income or other changes that affect your household size.
- Marriage or divorce, pregnancy, having a child, adoption/placing a child for adoption, gaining/losing a dependent, or moving.
- Getting health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or Medicaid.
- See the full list of life changes to report.
- You can report changes online. Just log in to your account. Select your application, then select “Report a life change” from the menu on the left. You can also report changes by phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Don’t report these changes by mail.
- Some life changes can affect the premium tax credit you may be eligible for. Visit the IRS website to learn more.
- After you report changes, you’ll get a new eligibility notice that will explain whether you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period and whether you’re eligible for lower costs based on your new information.
- If you’re eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, you’ll be able to shop for a different plan in the Marketplace online. Just log in to your account and select your application. Then select "Eligibility and Appeals" from the menu on the left. Next, scroll down and click the green "Continue to enrollment" button. You can also contact the Marketplace Call Center to change plans by phone.
- If you’re not eligible for a Special Enrollment Period but the tax credit you qualify for has changed - you can’t change plans. But you can choose to adjust the amount of the tax credit to apply to your monthly premiums.