Get ready for tax season
Published on January 28, 2021
Tax filing season is here. If you had Marketplace coverage in 2020, follow these steps to get ready.
1. Keep an eye out for Form 1095-A
- Your 1095-A includes information about Marketplace plans anyone in your household had in 2020.
- It will come in the mail by early February from the Marketplace (not the IRS). You may also get it in your HealthCare.gov account before then.
2. Make sure your Form 1095-A is right
- Carefully read the instructions on the back. Confirm that your household and coverage information, the "
- If you find errors, contact the Marketplace Call Center. We’ll send you an updated copy. Wait to file until you have it.
- If it’s right and you aren’t ready to file, store it in a safe place.
3. "Reconcile" with your correct Form 1095-A when you’re ready to file
- You’ll use the information from your accurate 1095-A form to complete Part II of Form 8962 (PDF, 110 KB).
- The table on this page explains how to "reconcile."
- Any difference between the amount of premium tax credit you used in advance during the year and the premium tax credit you actually qualify for will affect your refund or the amount of taxes you owe.