2015 taxes & the Health Insurance Marketplace®
No health coverage for 2015
This page applies if you had no health coverage for all or most of 2015.
If you weren’t enrolled in
See if you qualify for an exemption
- Exemptions are available based on a number of situations, including certain hardships, some life events, health coverage or financial status, and membership in some groups.
- Learn more about health coverage exemptions.
- See if any 2015 exemptions work for you. Use our exemptions tool to find out which exemptions you qualify for and how to apply for them.
Pay the fee if you don’t qualify for an exemption
- If you chose not to buy health insurance in 2015 and don’t qualify for a health coverage exemption, you may have to pay a penalty with your federal tax return.
- The penalty is based on your income and how many months you didn’t have coverage. Generally, the higher your income and the more months you didn’t have health insurance, the higher the fee.
- Learn more about the penalty for not having coverage in 2015.
Health care tax resources
Calculate your penalty
- Use the IRS Individual Shared Responsibility Payment Estimator to estimate your fee.
- Learn how to calculate and make your payment.
If you had no coverage for only part of 2015
See what to do if: