Make sure you have the right 1095 tax forms to file your taxes

Published on March 24, 2016

Warning: This blog post is out-of-date.Get the latest information
Don’t forget to use your health insurance tax form to file your 2015 federal income taxes! The 1095 tax forms you’ll need depend on whether you had health insurance coverage through the Marketplace or another source, like your job.
Image: IRS health insurance tax forms to avoid the tax time scrambleImage: IRS health insurance tax forms to avoid the tax time scramble

If you had 2015 health coverage

  • If you had Marketplace coverage with savings or without savings: Use Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace® Statement. If you received savings, you’ll use this form to
    your premium tax credit based on your final 2015 income. Don’t file your taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A.
  • If you had health coverage through your job, a retiree health plan, the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP), or COBRA: Use Form 1095-B, Health Coverage or Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage. You should have it by the first week of April, but if you don’t, you can file without it.
  • If you had other coverage, like Medicare, Medicaid, or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP): Use Form 1095-B, Health Coverage. If you don’t get the form by the first week in April, don’t worry. Some insurance providers don’t provide the form to their customers, but do send a copy to the IRS. You don’t need to have one to file your taxes.

If you didn’t have 2015 health insurance

If you weren’t enrolled in a health plan that qualifies as
minimum essential coverage
for all or part of 2015, you must either claim a health coverage exemption or pay a fee with your federal income tax return.